13 October 2008

Weekend trip: León and Oviedo

el 13 de Octubre de 2008

So this weekend AEGEE Santander organized a weekend trip to two cities very close to Santander: León and Oviedo. Leon is in the region called "Castilla y Leon" (South and a little West) and Oviedo is in Asturias (West). For the record, Santander is the capital of the region known as "Cantabria". So Cory and I awoke on Saturday around 6:30 and got ready to be at the bus for 7:45. We weren't sure if the city buses were running and as such took a walk through the park instead. The walk was nice, and we arrived right on time. The student coordinator arrived right on Spanish time, at 8:20, and we piled onto the bus and headed out.

The bus ride was fine, though a bit long. Our first stop was to be Leon were we would meet up with one of the guys from AEGEE Leon for a city tour. We arrived, drop our stuff at the "hotel" (which was actually a hostel) and got back on the bus to rendezvous in the city. We met up with the guy and began walking around. Cory and I immediately realized that we would much rather go off on our own, rather than walk around with this very large, obnoxious group of students. It was funny, actually, because I feel as though Americans get this bad stereotype for traveling in large groups and being loud and obnoxious, and yet it's really the same no matter who you are*. Our group was pretty much half Italians and half Brazilian students, and just the fact that they were together, in a large group, turned it into a typical loud group of tourists. Anyways, as I said Cory and I quickly decided we were all set, and the moment we had free time we took off. We walked around the city a bit, toured a historic library set in this very beautiful church (sadly we had to re-rendezvous with the group to do so) and also we were able to walk around the Cathedral, which was gorgeous. There were about 3 or 4 weddings that day. I was actually in the Cathedral for one of them, behind the alter taking pictures and some guy had to come up behind me and, whispering, asked me to please leave. It was great. We really didn't have time for dinner and we were supposed to all meet up at some plaza at 11:30p for a huge party in some bar. Well, Cory and a couple friends and I were hungry, and decided the answer would be tapas. For anyone who doesn't know about "tapas" I will explain:

Tapas (literally translated as "tops") are little snacks that bars serve with drinks later on in the evening. The word "tapas" came from long ago, when people would place the little dish with snacks on the top of the drink to protect it from bugs and flies and such. The food they give you can range from anything from peanuts or olives, to little pieces of bread and meats, to potato chips. It's essentially like leaving peanuts on the bar top in the U.S., but infinitely better. Some bars will serve them to you with your drink, or alternatively some bars will actually leave the little morsels spaced along the bar to be picked at as the night goes on. Tapas normally go out/are served later on after people will have eaten lunch/dinner. You really don't see them at clubs, and certain bars won't do them either, for example certain college bars, because the students are more there to drink. So there ya go.

Anyways, so Cory and I and a couple others headed out for some tapas. The safest thing to do is to get a draft beer, because you're guaranteed tapas. After the first two bars, the other 6 friends of ours decided they were going in search of the party. Cory and I decided that this night would be a bar hop. So we continued our search, stopping into 10 places, drinking at 7 of them, and enjoying the hell out of our tapas. We had all different types, from potato chips, to bread and meats, to a mashed potato type of treat. It was amazing. We also enjoyed a new type of drink which was "cerveza con limón", or essentially beer with lemonade. They take whatever is on tap** and add some lemonade to it. It's amazing! It's very light, crisp, and really really tasty. It's hard to drink more than a couple though, it's just one of those drinks. So after the tapas bars, we finally decided to make an appearance at the group party. We were at the bar for about 15 minutes before the group decided to move to another bar. We got lost, and then when we actually found the place we (Cory, my other friends in my room, and I) decided to just go back to the hostel to sleep. It was a good decision.

We awoke and headed to the next rendezvous which was breakfast. It was greatly welcomed. We had to wait a little while for the rest of the group to arrive/eat so Cory and I ducked into the park that was next to the restaurant. Oh early morning lighting how I love you so!! We just walked around the small park and sat on the benches. I snapped some photos and eventually we had to leave in order to get the bus.





We got on the bus and headed to Oviedo. Oviedo was very nice, but the trip was not as organized/filled with stuff as León was. We arrived around 3 in the afternoon, and they said "Okay... the cathedral is about 2 streets that way, and be back on the bus at 7. Try the "Sidra", it's a drink typical to Asturias." (Asturias being the region we were in.) And so we were off! Cory and I paired up and left the group, again, as quickly as possible. We shot a couple pictures of the cathedral and the square (again... gorgeous!) and then began the hunt for food. We were starving. On our way we found a couple things: 1) A t-shirt store. We both made a purchase and they're both awesome. I'll get a picture of the shirt later at some point. It says "Folk" on it, but in a mock "Ford" (as in car) logo type image. It has a large man playing a bagpipe. I guess Asturias Folk music is rather good? 2) A National Geographic Photography Exhibit. Wow! There was one category "Under 11" that made me cry. These kids are nuts. SOOO much better than me, haha. I need more practice :) 3) A music stand that sold... Authentic Asturias Folk music!! I was so happy. I bought one cd and put it in as soon as I got home. For the record, it's amazing. I'll pass it on to any who want it.

After all of that we finally found lunch. We got the "Menú del día" which is how Spaniards do lunch. You get a series of plates: two larger plates, one desert, a drink, and bread. All for about 9 euro. It's f'ing amazing. It's the best concept ever. So we shared a red wine (which was deliicious), both had the paella to start (oh god it was good) and then Cory had the fish and I had the chicken. We then both had flan. Afterwards, we headed (a little tipsy) to find some Sidra. We found an authentic Sidraría, and had ourselves two bottles. Now the thing with this drink is that it has to be poured a special way. You hold the bottle above your head, and the glass as low as your arm stretches... and pour. Yep. Also, you only pour enough for one shot. Why you do both of these things I have no clue. But it was tasty. The waiter poured the first, but after that you're on your own. Cory and I had fun, but for sure ended up getting more in the street than the glass. Anyways, we had two bottles and then bought one for the apartment. It was tasty stuff.

So having 2 1/2 hours until the bus left, we headed to this little park we saw down a side street to take a nap. Well, no sooner did we walk in than we saw a group of kids taking a nap in the very same park. Apparently that was the plan for the afternoon. Ha! So Cory lied down for a nap, and I took out my camera and walked through the park. It was very quiant. There were a couple fountains and a little pond with ducks/swan/peacocks. Two of the peacocks got loose and were walking around the park. I got pretty close, about 3 feet, and got some cool pictures. I also met this man Peter from Belgium, who also pulled out his camera and was taking pictures. We gave each other the courtesy nod and a mutual "these peacocks are f'ing cool"-type-grin while snapping photos and after the peacocks walked away we chatted for a bit about photography and what we were both doing in Oviedo.*** He was there with his wife for a friend's wedding, and didn't speak Spanish. He was very nervous when I tried to start the conversation in Spanish, but quite relieved when I quickly told him I was American and spoke English.




After more hanging out in the park we took the bus home. It was the worst ride ever. (Return to comment about loud groups of tourists: enter me, surrounded on a bus trying to sleep by yelling and screaming. I don't want to hear anyone speak Italian or Brazilian Portugues for a loooong time.) I moved seats after our rest stop to try and sleep better.

So to recap: The cities were both nice in their own respect. It was great seeing a "real" cathedral, being an American. It's really fascinating for me to be able to see all of this ancient architecture and the history behind it. I'm not one for history class, but I LOVE hearing really cool stories about Medival times and old European customs/stories. It's fun. The trip as a "trip" was not my cup of tea, but I'm still glad I went.

Highlights:
Sweet old European architecture
Tapas bar hopping
Menú del día
Peacocks

Sorry this post was so long. Yay embedded pictures!

Hasta muy pronto,
Andrew
Santander, ESP



*See next entry about "ex-patroit" comments.
**Not literally "whatever." I doubt they'd use Guinness. In some places it was Amstel Light or something like it.
*** See next entry about why I LOVE photography for so many reasons.

2 comments:

Meg said...

1) cerveza con limon = Clara in Catalonia. So tasty. mmm.
2) have you had croquetas yet?
3) man oh man do i miss the menu del dia.
4) excellent photos sir, but i feel as though you're holding back on the sharing of them!
5) I can't remember what 5 was supposed to be because that post was too long for me to remember all my comments. :-P

Ayla said...

I had a History teacher in high school who was completely terrifying. Her favorite food in the whole world was Tapas, and she named her dog after it.