15 October 2008

Milestone

el 15 de octubre de 2008

This entry is going to be different from my others, in that it will be more of a reflection on my experiences than recounting them.

Milestone
This week marks the longest time I have spent away from:
Home
Friends
Family
The State of Rhode Island
The United States

6 weeks. Costa Rica was only 5. Wow. My reaction is one of surprise, pride, and comfort. I'm surprised that I haven't gotten as home sick as I did in Costa Rica. It seems more and more that going to CR was such a great "trial run" for this trip. I learned so much about what it's like being abroad and it really prepared me for this bigger step. I'm proud about how immediately I said "Okay. I'm in Europe now. I'm pretty much on my own... let's do this." And just took of running. I'm surprised at how comfortable I am here. This is my 8th year studying Spanish, I have some really good friends, the local people have been kind and friendly. It's just a great environment.

"Ex-pat" versus "Tourist"
Cory and I talked about this topic this past weekend. If you read my previous entry, you noticed that I mentioned how very much I loath the idea of traveling in large groups of obvious tourists that act obnoxiously, very rudely, and almost offensively in public. It's not just Americans either, it's a universal tendency. I would be much happier doing what Cory and I did: we took off on our own, talked with some locals, asked them where the best local place to get the authentic drink/food was, and then went there. The little authentic places, the real culture, talking to locals, getting involved in music/arts of the region... this is all what I truly want to experience here. I mentioned how upset I was on our trip to 'los Picos de Europa', how we got there, rode the gondola to the top of the peaks, spent 10 minutes taking some photos and then left. That says nothing except "Look! I've been here! Once! It was... nice!" But ask that person about what it's like to walk around on these peaks and about the stories behind the peaks and maybe someone who climbed it in some epic journey and they won't know shit. Cory said it the best while we were talking. Paraphrasing, it was "I feel like everyone here is still a tourist who happens to be staying here for a long time, but you and I came and planted ourselves here. We're here for a year, this is where we live." We made a joke that we were the ex-patriots planting roots versus everyone else being the tourist just passing through. I liked the thought. (Don't get me wrong, gotta love the Red, White, and Blue... but Yellow and Red go good together as well...)

"Home" is still contextual
The previous two commentaries noted how comfortable I am here and how I am slowly, but surely, moving my mindset to living here in Spain and all that this will entail. However, I noticed that the concept of "home" is still contextual. To better understand, an example: Cory and I were talking and he mentioned something that he'd like to do when we got back to Santander, but he used the phrase "when we get home." It was something general, that can be done anywhere, and I also got excited about doing that thing (I forget what it was) but immediately jumped to the thought of doing it in Rhode Island with my friends. As much as I love it here, and have found myself more than others (save Cory of course) really planting roots and immersing myself here... home is still Rhode Island. My opinion on the matter is rather neutral. I wish I could change that and make this place my new home. And I will... I am. It's happening slowly, but it is happening. At the same time I love the fact that I will always have Rhode Island as my home. In either case, I'm glad that no matter where I am, I can be comfortable enough and adapt myself to always know where home is. Always.

Anthropology
The "Ex-patriot" topic about also goes under this category, but deserved it's own section. I've noticed that I really enjoy observing people. I noticed this tendency this past year, especially in the IEP house. When we would hang out and drink and chat, I would sometimes go quiet and people would ask if I was okay. I was fine. I was observing. I enjoy, very much actually, just sitting back during a conversation and listening. I listen for several reasons. I listen to learn about the topic: sometimes I don't know enough to participate, but am eager to learn. I listen to learn about the people: just sitting back and letting someone just talk can teach you things you never knew. Sometimes people really want to say something but never found the right context to say it, but by just letting them talk they can move the conversation themselves and steer the conversation right to the spot they want to be. I listen to see if I'm right: I have never taken an Anthropolgy class, but even as such you can learn a lot about sterotypes and tendencies within different people just by watching them day to day... well, obviously that's what Anthropolgy is. Anyways, I really like making a hypothesis about someone's opinion on something and then listening during a conversation to see if I'm correct. I also like being surprised when I'm not. I listen to draw connections: above all my favorite thing to do is just listen to two or more people talk, compile their different comments and opinions and then try to look into what I know about them and see if I can pinpoint why the opinion differs.
All things considered, I'm excited to take an Anthropology class when I get back to URI.

Photography
I have a blast taking photos. I find it really fun, and I get really excited when I take a good picture. It's a very gratifying art form, and it's even more special to me considering how important it is to my brother John, and also to so many of my friends (namely Meg, Handrigan, Jeff, etc). Mostly, I've noticed, I love it as a community. In the 6 weeks I have been in Spain, and thus the 8 weeks I have actually owned my camera, I have on several occasions have had conversations started with/by someone that was either 1) interested in my camera or 2) was a photographer as well. And not only that, but the conversations are much more than just a "cool camera" comment before moving on. I mentioned in my last entry I met this man Peter from Belgium in Oviedo this past weekend. I pulled out my camera to get some shots of these peacocks in this park, and out the corner of my eye I saw him also pull out a camera. Later on I saw him creep in a bit closer for a shot and we exchanged "this is cool" glances while taking some great photos. Afterwards, we showed each other a couple of shots, but then instead of going about our ways we just started chatting. He told me he was there with his wife for a friend's wedding, he likes the city, and his camera and lens were a gift for his 30th anniversary. I told him I was a student, I was living in Spain for a year, and that I was only in the city for about 4 hours. We made a little more small talk and then moved on. I like having something like photography as a gateway to meeting new interesting people. I like it a lot.

Home Sick
I haven't gotten truly home sick here. There have been several occasions where I had wished "insert name" was here to share this "insert fun activity" with me. But truly, I haven't really been "home sick" in the true depression, can't leave the room, crying over missing family/friends kind of way. I was talking with Tori and mentioned that I have two opinions over being in Spain alone (Note: I do have Cory, which is amazing. But in terms of the "group" I'm used to having around it's quite different). The first, is that I hate the fact that pretty much all my friends in Europe are in Germany together in one big group. I will admit that seeing there pictures makes me jealous. They all got to go together, and they get to be together during their great experience abroad. The second opinion is that I am truly happy and proud that I'm not in the big group. I mentioned above how much I dislike the idea of the large group but I don't think that 7-8 of my friends really falls under that category. Anyways, I'm really excited that I'm here on my own. I think it will definitely afford me different experiences and opportunities to grow and learn in different ways. It also affords me the experience of truly living on my own and being independent which, as the youngest child, I have been yearning for for years. What an incredible place to have that opportunity.

Things I Miss
Coffee ice cream.
Dels.
Coffee.
Fall in Rhode Island.
Pint Night at the Mews.
Newport Storm Amber Ale.
Brewed Awakenings... for coffee.
Bon fires that last all night.


Well, that's a bunch of "reflections" that I've noticed and wanted to share. I hope you are all well and, as always, I miss you all and can't wait to share more experiences/adventures when I/we have them.

Tan luego,
Andrew
Santander, ESP

2 comments:

Meg said...

I'll elaborate in actual conversation, but the short version is this: yes.

Ayla said...

Living abroad alone > living abroad with friends from home. By a landslide.